Advanced Practice Nurse (Nurse Midwife)
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chinle, AZ 86503
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Learn more about this agency
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The Nurse Midwife positions are located at the Indian Health Services, Division of Nurse Midwife, Medical Staff, Chinle, Tsaile, Pinon, Arizona. The incumbent serves as a Nurse Midwife with responsibility for providing clinical services. The primary purpose of the work is to manage general women’s health, pregnancy and newborn infant care and to provide assessment of needs, planning of care, teaching, and performance of routine and emergency procedures.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior’s definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Responsible for the diagnosis, care and treatment of patients, and high acuity cases in the capacity of the staff certified nurse midwife.
- Interviews and examines patients, reviews past medical history, and requests and/or performs diagnostic tests and examinations deemed necessary to obtain all possible information related to each case; makes preliminary diagnosis, directs, prescribes or provides treatment.
- Provides emergency care as required: provides definitive management in all medical categories for cases that do not require referral.
- Independently manages routine low risk pregnant patients and takes direction in a close professional relationship with consulting Obstetrician in the management of high risk pregnant patients;
- Refers patients to appropriate contracted medical of other government facilities; provides full clinical information for care and diagnosis procedures that cannot be adequately provided at local IHS facilities.
- Works in close partnership with nursing and other clinical leadership to high quality services; Incumbent is a member of the medical staff and will provide diagnostic and therapeutic services.
- Travel Required
25% or less – You may be expected to travel for this position.
- Supervisory status
- Promotion Potential
- #### Job family (Series)
- Similar jobs
- Nurses, Psychiatric
- Psychiatric Nurses
- Conditions of Employment
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 01/31/2019.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Education:A graduate or higher level degree, bachelor’s degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (external link), Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (external link), Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education (external link), or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (external link) at the time the degree was obtained.
Degree from Foreign Nursing School: Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (external link) is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.
Advanced Practice Nurse Positions: For Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) positions, applicants must possess a graduate or higher level degree in nursing from an accredited educational program in the area of expertise or specialty indicated by the position.
Areas of specialties for positions include, but are not limited to, Acute Care, Anesthesia, Community Health, Family, Geriatric, Home Health, Midwifery, Neonatal, Oncology, Pediatric, Psychiatric, Allergy and Immunology, Women’s Health, Cardiovascular, Dermatology, Occupational Health, Orthopedic, Respiratory, or other specialties identified for the position.
Licensure:For all grade levels and positions, applicants must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination (external link). In addition, they must possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
Additional License Requirements for Advanced Practice Nurse Positions: Applicants for Advanced Practice Nurse positions must be licensed or registered by a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States in the clinical specialty required by the position.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: provides medical care and public health services to eligible individuals according to the standards of clinical nurse midwifery.
The work experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. At the GS-9 and above grade level, many positions may require experience in a specialty area of nursing.
Basic Requirements for the GS-9 (or equivalent) Grade Level:In addition to the above requirements, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Possession of a master’s degree in professional nursing; or
- At least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-7 grade level or above) and possession of a diploma, associate degree, or bachelor’s degree in Nursing from a professional nursing program.
Basic Requirements for the GS-11 (or equivalent) Grade Level:In addition to the above requirements, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Successful completion of a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree from a professional nursi