Respiratory Therapist DE
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Shiprock, NM 87420
This position is being announced concurrently under Merit Promotion and Excepted Service procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-18-NJ-10164142-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
Learn more about this agency
- Administers various medications to patients with acute and chronic respiratory distress. Sets up, manages, and monitors a variety of complex respiratory equipment such as volume cycled and pressure cycled ventilators for critically ill patients.
- Performs airway management and tube cre on intensive care and emergency room patients including cleaning and securing endotracheal tube and site, monitoring cuff pressure and inspecting equipment and patient to insure proper functioning of endotracheal or trach tube.
- Draws arterial, venous, and mixed venous blood samples from patients through arterial puncture, arterial catheter, Swan-Ganz, or capillary puncture.
- Maintains detailed records; documenting assessments, therapies, procedures performed. Keeps abreast of the latest advances in the respiratory field by attending training, in-service, and perusing respiratory therapy/cardiopulmonary journals.
- Maintains, operates, calibrates, troubleshoots, performs scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, performs Quality Control, and proficiency testing on the Arterial Blood Gas analyzers requiring a high degree of knowledge, training and skills.
- Incumbent receives guidance from a higher-grade respiratory therapist or supervisor.
- Administers a variety of procedures.
- Sets up small volume nebulizer therapy (SVN) administration using various medications for acute and chronic respiratory distress and disease process.
- Provides patient and family education, in-service and training for home respiratory therapy care pertaining to medication effects and Chest physiotherapy.
- Maintains accurate, clear, detailed records and documents all therapies and procedures performed. Stays abreast of current information and advances in the field of respiratory therapy/cardiopulmonary.
- Managing a ventilator independently and making safe decisions on behalf of patients.
- Travel Required
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
- Supervisory status
- Promotion Potential
- #### Job family (Series)
0651 Respiratory Therapist
- Similar jobs
- Oxygen Therapy Technicians
- Respiratory Therapists
- Respiratory Therapy Technicians
- Technicians, Oxygen Therapy
- Technicians, Respiratory Therapy
- Therapists, Respiratory
- Conditions of Employment
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: .December 31, 2018.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
For positions at GS-4 and above: Qualifying specialized experience must have demonstrated a knowledge of basic equipment used in respiratory therapy and included duties such as:
- Making regular rounds on hospital nursing units to review or collect clinical data to insure that the respiratory equipment is operating properly and in compliance with physicians’ orders.
- Transporting, setting up, or testing the operation of and changing simple oxygen administering devices, e.g., masks and nasal cannulas with cylinder or centralized medical gas systems.
- Disassembling, cleaning, assembling, and sterilizing reusable respiratory equipment such as oxygen analyzers and regulators, including recognizing and reporting variations from expected results.
Examples of qualifying experience include work as a practical nurse, nursing assistant, medical machine aid, medical technician, or respiratory therapy aid if the above duties were performed.
GS-05:Candidate must have 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 grade level
ORSuccessful completion of a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor’s degree in respiratory therapy.
GS-06:Candidate must have 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 grade level.
GS-07: Candidate must have 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-06 grade level.
GS-08: Candidate must have 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level.
When there is a positive education requirement, or you are using education to qualify as a substitution for experience, transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution. Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- Additional information
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Appointment Above the Minimum may be authorized.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 1 year service agreement will be required.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP):
The Indian Health Service (IHS), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS – http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/
For HRSA Nurse Corps – http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
This position has promotion potential to the GS-08 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management’s discretion and is based on your demo