Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chinle, AZ 86503
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Learn more about this agency
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located with the Division of Nursing, Adult Care Unit, at the Chinle Comprehensive Health Care Facility in Chinle, AZ. The purpose of this position is to provide a comprehensive level of monitoring and administration of nursing care, therapies and treatments to patients of all ages. Evaluates the nursing needs of patients, develops and individualized nursing plan of care, implements plan and reviews and revises as needed based on changes of the patient’s status, provides and/or directs the provision of nursing care, delegates duties to appropriate personnel by teaching and monitoring their work as needed and participates in the evaluation and effectiveness of the quality of patient care.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior’s definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Performs professional nursing duties for patients whose conditions warrants specialized care of a wide variety of injuries and illness.
- Assesses the patient and develops an individualized nursing plan of care through admission interview of the patient and family members, reviews the patient’s health records and consults with the physician; assess, determines and evaluates appropriate type of physical, emotional, spiritual and cultural care needed.
- Observes and assesses the patient’s clinical condition, gathers and interprets data from the patient’s history and physical assessment; decides appropriate nursing action based on interpretation of data; informs the physician of patient’s conditions.
- Documents all patient and family education, barriers, methods, level of understanding, return demonstration and evaluation in the EHR using the appropriate education codes and methods.
- Educates patient and family of available resources; coordinates appointments with social, emotional, educational; cultural, spiritual and physical support personnel as needed; submits referral to respective departments and conducts follow-up through chart review.
- Travel Required
25% or less – You may be expected to travel for this position.
- Supervisory status
- Promotion Potential
- #### Job family (Series)
- Conditions of Employment
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 01/31/2019.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT:In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
Education:A graduate or higher level degree, bachelor’s degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (external link), Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (external link), Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education (external link), or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (external link) at the time the degree was obtained.
Degree from Foreign Nursing School:Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (external link) is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.
Licensure:For all grade levels and positions, applicants must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination (external link). In addition, they must possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks.
Experience:The work experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. At the GS-9 and above grade level, many positions may require experience in a specialty area of nursing.
Basic Requirements for the GS-5 (or equivalent) Grade Level – To qualify at the GS-5 (or equivalent) grade level, applicants must meet one of the following qualification requirements:
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree in Nursing with no experience; or
- Possession of a diploma or associate degree in professional nursing and one full year of professional nursing experience.
Basic Requirements for the GS-7 (or equivalent) Grade Level -In addition to the above Basic Requirements, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree in Nursing and eligibility under the Superior Academic Achievement provision;
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree in Nursing and at least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-5 grade level);
- Possession of a diploma or associate degree in professional nursing and two full years of professional nursing experience; or
- Completion of at least one full year of graduate education in a professional nursing educational program.
Basic Requirements for the GS-9 (or equivalent) Grade Level -In addition to the above requirements, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Possession of a master’s degree in professional nursing; or
- At least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-7 grade level or above) and possession of a diploma, associate degree, or bachelor’s degree in Nursing from a professional nursing program.
When there is a positive education requir