Chief Development Officer, AZ Public Media
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Tucson, AZ 85719
Position Information Title
Chief Development Officer, AZ Public Media
AZ Public Media Admin Svcs (3101)
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is responsible for overall customer service, development and revenue generating activities at Arizona Public Media (AZPM). The incumbent supervises the managers in the Audience Services, Membership, Major and Planned Gifts, and Underwriting Departments reporting directly to AZPM’s Chief Executive Officer. The CDO works to advance AZPM’s organizational objectives along with other executive staff members (Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Marketing & Communications Officer).
This position is ultimately responsible for optimizing AZPM’s revenue centers to provide the financial support required to fund AZPM’s operations and strategic objectives. The revenue centers currently provide $8.5M* in annual revenue to support AZPM, which is approximately 70% of AZPM’s budget.
AZPM receives a significant amount of support from the University, viewers, listeners, and corporate supporters. Regardless of job capacity, each employee is obligated to present a professional and helpful business image to those with whom they come into contact.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please .
The University of Arizona is in the process of creating a new classification and compensation architecture. This University Career Architecture Project (UCAP) will revolutionize the way we think about professions and manage compensation at the UA. It is a two year initiative that will replace the current classified staff and appointed professional categories of employment with market-based job functions and families. As an applicant, UCAP will create clearer career paths and opportunities and will help you make more informed pay decisions. To learn more about this project, please visit ucap.arizona.edu.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Meet, and whenever possible exceed, annual revenue goals established by AZPM’s Executive Staff in collaboration with Development Division managers.
- Supervise the strategic and operational activities of the Audience Services, Development (Major & Planned Gifts), Membership, and Underwriting Departments.
- Lead, motivate and coach the managers and staff under your direct supervision and work to create a positive and productive work environment for all staff in the Development Division. Support training and career advancement opportunities for the development staff.
- Responsible for Development Division planning and evaluating performance, staff training and development, recruitment, retention and termination of assigned staff within AZPM and UA policies.
- Work to maintain AZPM’s leadership position among peer non-profits and public media organizations.
- Develop and implement strategies to improve financial performance and customer support in the Development Division.
- Keep up with changing markets and trends as related to public media and non-profit fundraising.
- Develop strategies to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward underwriting clients, annual members, major and planned gift donors.
- Take reasonable and calculated risks to advance fundraising methods in a dynamic and highly competitive media and non-profit fundraising environment.
- Work proactively with AZPM’s Marketing & Communications Staff to develop engagement opportunities to steward current supporters and introduce AZPM to prospective supporters.
- Meet with UA Foundation staff to jointly review performance of Major Gifts staff members, who are jointly-supervised by UAF, representing AZPM leadership.
- Ensure compliance with all FCC, CPB, PBS, NPR, UA and UAF policies related to revenue generation and reporting. Meet or exceed reporting deadlines whenever possible.
- Provide regular updates on development activities, including both challenges and successes, to AZPM’s Community Advisory Board.
- Work closely and collaboratively with AZPM CEO and Executive Staff to lead and optimize performance of the organization in service to the community.
- Participate in weekly Executive Staff and Management Staff Meetings. Chair Management Staff Meeting as may be required.
- Participate in regional and national meeting and conferences as may be required to advance organizational and industry objectives.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with challenging individuals within and outside of the organization on a regular basis.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills; ability to influence and build a network of long-term relationships with prospective supporters and clients.
- 7-years of experience in public media or non-profit fundraising, sales administration, and personnel management including at least 3-years of managerial experience.
- Proven track record of successful revenue generation ($5M+ per year).
- BS/BA in Management/Marketing, Journalism/Communications or another related field OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
- At least 10 years of progressively-responsible experience in public media or non-profit fundraising, sales administration, and personnel management.
- Experienced on-air presenter (talent on radio/TV).
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Familiarity with Southern Arizona market and region.
- Experienced with Allegiance Membership Software.
- Experienced with Lynx Major Donor CMS.
- Experience with Microsoft PowerPoint and/or Mac Keynote
Full Time/Part Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week
Administrative and Professional
Yes – Full Benefits
Posted Rate of Pay
Based on experience
Type of criminal background check required:
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Detail Information Posting Number
Number of Vacancies
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Limited to Current UA Employees
Contact Information for Candidates
Human Resources Generalist
Arizona Public Media
P.O. Box 210067
Tucson, AZ 85721-0067
Open Until Filled
Review Begins On
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please note: You will be required to provide contact information for a minimum of three professional references within your application. Should you be selected as a finalist for this position, for your convenience, your references may receive an automatic email. This email will ask your references to complete a brief questionnaire in regard to your suitability for the position as well as request the attachment of a letter of recommendation. These letters of recommendation must be uploaded directly via the UACareers.com website by your reference provider. UACareers.com is not compatible with any “dossier aggregate” system (e.g., Interfolio, Intellimedia).
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Quick Link for Internal Postings
The University of Arizona is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.