Policy Analyst, Senior or Lead
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Tucson, AZ 85701
Policy Analyst, Senior or Lead
Tucson Electric Power
UNS Energy Corporation, headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, is a subsidiary of Fortis Inc., the largest investor-owned electric and gas distribution utility in Canada. UNS Energy Corporation’s public utility subsidiaries, Tucson Electric Power Company, UNS Electric, Inc. and UNS Gas, Inc., provide electric and gas service to customers in southern and northern Arizona. For more information about UNS Energy Corporation, visit .
Tucson Electric Power provides safe, reliable electric service to approximately 414,000 customers in Southern Arizona. Although our company has been in business for more than 120 years, we continue to look for innovative ways of providing value, comfort, convenience and security to our customers every day. We’re evaluating cutting-edge energy technologies, reshaping our energy portfolio and expanding our renewable power and energy-efficiency programs. While our line of work can be challenging, it can also be rewarding. Our team of dedicated professionals values engagement, enthusiasm, innovation and collaboration.
In return, TEP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes a 401k plan with a generous company match, a company-sponsored pension plan, tuition reimbursement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and much more.
We are currently seeking a talented individual for the position of Policy Analyst, Senior or Lead. The successful candidate will support the development and implementation of state regulatory strategies. Represent the company with the Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC) and other stakeholders, preparation of rate cases, implementation plans, compliance filings, applications and other correspondence. Involved with nearly all issues before the ACC for Tucson Electric Power, UNS Electric and UNS Gas (Companies). Coordinate regulatory and legislative activities as appropriate. This position requires proficiency in navigating the issues and challenges that face the company in the regulatory and legislative arenas. The successful candidate will also represent the Companies in stakeholder meetings with ACC Staff and other parties.
- Monitors ACC proceedings, reads related filings and writes summaries for leadership.
- Assists or leads in the preparation and review of testimony for ACC proceedings; prepares or reviews ACC-related applications, implementation plans and compliance filings; responds to data and information requests from internal and external stakeholders; and prepares presentations.
- Supports day-to-day communication and outreach with the ACC staff and other key stakeholders.
- Responsible for providing the Regulatory Services and Government Relations leadership with regulatory research and other information as needed.
- Displays knowledge of and routinely supports execution of the regulatory process for utilities in Arizona including ACC filings, implementation plans, rate cases, etc. of moderate complexity.
- Collaborates with internal departments regarding regulatory strategy and public outreach.
- Performs research, create policy proposals and represents the Companies to obtain information and disseminate policy positions to internal and external audiences.
- Coordinates and develop talking points and literature for internal and external audiences regarding the Companies’ regulatory activities.
- Attends community events or public group meetings to make presentations or to gather information and provide informative feedback to the Companies.
- Participates in planning, developing, and executing public outreach as it relates to regulatory issues.
- Collaborates with internal departments regarding regulatory and government relations’ strategy and public outreach.
- Develops a broad familiarity with knowledge of current corporate operations, practices and strategic objectives.
- Performs tasks as assigned to support leadership of the Regulatory Services and Government Relations’ Departments.
- This position may provide services to affiliates of the Company subject to the UNS Energy Code of Conduct and the related Policies and Procedures.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
(Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Legal, Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field, and five to six years previous experience in public policy, government relations, finance, regulatory or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with diverse groups across functional lines and effectively build relationships.
- Ability to collect, analyze and interpret statistical information and data.
- Ability to work independently on multiple, parallel projects of moderate complexity with high level of interpersonal skills to coordinate personnel and resources for project completion.
- Ability to work under high pressure and in stressful situations.
- Demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Proficiency in use of personal computer applications, including research, spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software.
- Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines and synthesize information in a time sensitive environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel statewide including occasional overnight stays and conferences
- Experience in government relations/regulatory experience in the energy sector or utility industry.
- Experience in the preparation of public utility commission filings.
- Professional experience in public policy, government relations, finance, regulatory or equivalent.
- Ability to represent the Companies’ positions in a professional and articulate manner.
- All Qualifications of a Senior Analyst.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Legal, Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field, and seven to eight years of experience.
- Experience in the energy sector, utility industry or equivalent.
- Ability to work independently on multiple, complex parallel projects with high level of interpersonal skills to coordinate personnel and resources for project completion.
- Ability and willingness to travel statewide including occasional overnight stays and conferences.
- Master’s degree in Business, Legal, Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field, and five years previous experience.
- Advanced experience in the energy sector, utility industry or equivalent.
- Leads the preparation of public utility commission filings.
- Demonstrated ability to network with community and public officials, proactively developing rapport and relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor others.
UNS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M / F / D / V / LGBT