Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Tucson, AZ 85719
Position Information Title
Senior VP Health Sciences (6801)
University of Arizona Health Sciences
The University of Arizona Health Sciences (UAHS) Office of Research Administration is looking for a Contract Analyst to work closely with colleagues in a fast-paced environment. This position will offer ample opportunity to work in the world of research administration in support of faculty who conduct research in the multiple colleges that comprise the University of Arizona Health Sciences. The position will work closely with faculty, research staff, study teams, and our medical partners, Banner Health, and Dignity Health, to coordinate contract negotiations.
Research Administration, within the University of Arizona Health Sciences (UAHS), provides concierge-level service to all UAHS investigators in support of research pre- and post-award activities, including sponsored project application submission, contract negotiation, clinical trials, and compliance support.
In providing a centralized consortium of research administration professionals, the Office is a one-stop shop for interactions with sponsors and central campus administrative units including the Sponsored Projects Services and the IRB. This is an exciting opportunity to work in a team environment with a strong customer service focus and to play a part in facilitating the groundbreaking research occurring every day at the University of Arizona. Forbes Magazine has named the University of Arizona as one of the state’s best places to work in 2019!
This position is responsible for negotiating contracts with representatives of industry, federal and local governments, state-sponsored research, non-profit foundations, and other universities. This position will support the University of Arizona by negotiating agreements that bring external funding and other forms of support to University research, education, service, and outreach activities. This role will be responsible for working with faculty in all areas of health sciences to understand their needs, apply university policy, applicable regulations, and legal principles, and employ negotiating skills to successfully complete contracts. Additionally, the Contract Analyst will work closely with our medical partners, Banner Health and Dignity Health, to coordinate contract negotiations.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please .
The University of Arizona is in the process of creating a new classification and compensation architecture. This University Career Architecture Project (UCAP) will revolutionize the way we think about professions and manage compensation at the UA. It is a two year initiative that will replace the current classified staff and appointed professional categories of employment with market-based job functions and families. As an applicant, UCAP will create clearer career paths and opportunities and will help you make more informed pay decisions. To learn more about this project, please visit ucap.arizona.edu.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Review, process, and negotiate assigned agreements, including clinical trial agreements, confidential disclosure agreements, and other research agreements as required.
- Coordinate and lead negotiations with internal stakeholders, sponsors, and our medical partners.
- Maintain a database to communicate the status of contracts and amendments.
- Serve as campus resource for principal investigators, study personnel and other University officials in the agreement review process.
- Maintain knowledge of current developments in policy, laws, regulations and best practices regulating university agreements.
- Assist in providing training to faculty and other study personnel about policies, procedures, forms, laws and regulations related to university agreements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to be detailed oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, along with the ability to interact effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills, along with the ability to work within tight and conflicting deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or business-related field AND two years’ experience in a university, legal, healthcare, or business environment in research administration, contracting, business development, or research management OR equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Knowledge of negotiating common contractual terms and issues related to contracting in higher education, healthcare, non-profit organizations, and/or the private sector.
- Ability to assess specific terms in the context of the entire agreement, making judgements on accepting risk in one area if it can be modulated by terms in another area.
- Demonstrated knowledge of university and sponsor agency policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to think quickly and effectively in verbal negotiations.
- Demonstrated ability to seek and affect successfully creative resolutions to contract issues.
- Standout colleague who supports the team and is able to resolve issues with a positive outcome.
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, and a strong ability to multi-task multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic team environment with changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to interact professionally and effectively with investigators, sponsors, and cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a manner that is effective and efficient.
- Experience with UA systems, specifically UAccess Research.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Willingness to work weekend and evening hours when necessary.
Full Time/Part Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week
Administrative and Professional
Yes – Full Benefits
Posted Rate of Pay
$48,000 – $61,000 Annually, DOE
Type of criminal background check required:
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Detail Information Posting Number
Number of Vacancies
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Limited to Current UA Employees
Contact Information for Candidates
Chris Gaul, .#626-1542
Open Until Filled
Review Begins On
Special Instructions to Applicant
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Quick Link for Internal Postings
The University of Arizona is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.