Sports & Recreation Coach
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Phoenix, AZ 85003
Sports & Recreation Coach
LOCATION: The Salvation Army
Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center
REPORTS TO: Sports and Fitness Coordinator
STATUS: Part-Time / Non-Exempt (20 hrs. per week)
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years old with a valid driver’s license.
- One year of experience in a gymnasium and athletic field setting. Computer experience in using Microsoft Word and Excel preferred.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate efficiently.
- Must have ability to work and relate well with people.
- Must have or be able to obtain CPR/First Aide certification within first 30 days of employment.
- Must be able to lift and carry 40lbs.
- Meet all health and safety regulations as defined by the Health Department as well as The Salvation Army.
- Must be in good physical and mental health, capable of meeting the demands of the gymnasium and athletic field programs.
- Have a Philosophy of education and child development, which is consistent with that of the center and The Salvation Army.
- Have the ability to work with children, parents, and staff in a capacity of leadership and education including, but not limited to:Ability to relate joyfully and sensitively to children of all ages.
Sensitivity to children’s individual needs.
Ability to use appropriate positive discipline consistently.
Ability to handle security and crisis situations, calmly.
Ability to seek supervision and use in consistently.
- Effectively provide support to other coaches.
- Review and ensure all boxing participants have paid their fees prior to their acceptance in the boxing program
- Prepare a practice plan and submit to Supervisor every Monday by 4PM.
- Assist in supervision of gymnasium, field and special events and game room areas.
- Interface with peer, supervisors and people of various socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ensure the safe use of the facility by enforcement regulations.
- Ensure all boxers and parents are properly signed in and out.
- Maintain total responsibility of all assigned boxers during the 4-hour shift.
- Communicate with all parents notifying them of events in the boxing gym.
- Have a coaches meeting with Supervisor every Thursday evening at 8PM.
- Ensure scheduled gang prevention program is consistent and properly administered.
- Report all gymnasium and recreation field defects and repair problems.
- Enforce all rules that pertain to the gymnasium and recreation field and facility on a constant basis.
- Ability to work with volunteers on a professional level.
- Ability to assist in any emergencies or accidents.
- Handle disputes with participants, parents and students in a professional manner.
- Maintain a safe working environment; Report all harmful problems with facilities to the proper supervisor.
- Follow and ensure adherence to The Salvation Army Policies and Procedures.
- Maintain the Code of Ethics policy, which has been established for the Kroc Center.
- Perform other assignments/duties as directed.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or © consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35©
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. The Salvation Army is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified job applicants, job candidates, and employees with disabilities to ensure they enjoy equal access to all employment opportunities and benefits of employment as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act. EEO is the Law.