Microsoft Technologies Architect (Systems Administ
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Tucson, AZ 85719
Position Information Title
Microsoft Technologies Architect (Systems Administrator, Senior)
UITS-Infra & Foundational Tech (9526)
Under administrative direction, this position is responsible for building and delivering Microsoft technology based solutions that enhance research, learning, and operations for campus communities, as well as supporting, maintaining, and improving the UA’s existing Microsoft technology based solutions. The successful candidate will be tasked with the installation, configuration, and support necessary to ensure maximum availability of Microsoft software and services as well as with contributing to the successful execution and completion of assignments/projects. The candidate will utilize industry best practices to provide guidance and expertise related to Microsoft technologies and services, both internally and to IT personnel in other UA departments.
Incumbent will be responsible for participating in a 24×7 on-call for infrastructure emergencies.
This position will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona, please
The University of Arizona is in the process of creating a new classification and compensation architecture. This University Career Architecture Project (UCAP) will revolutionize the way we think about professions and manage compensation at the UA. It is a two year initiative that will replace the current classified staff and appointed professional categories of employment with market-based job functions and families. As an applicant, UCAP will create clearer career paths and opportunities and will help you make more informed pay decisions. To learn more about this project, please visit .
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support customer/business requirements with the design, development, testing, evaluation, acquisition and operation of Microsoft technologies and services to ensure Microsoft based architecture and capacity meets present and future needs
- Responsible for integrating cross platform architectures into a seamless enterprise model; provide technical guidance and Microsoft technology based solutions for all stakeholders and partners as required
- Works with administration/researchers and non-University users to define, adapt, develop, and implement Microsoft technologies and services to the research, communications and security needs of the department.
- Analyzes requests for Microsoft technologies and services to determine feasibility, cost, equipment needs and time required; conducts needs analysis, evaluates new technologies and services for completeness and compatibility with existing systems or services and recommends technologies or services for purchase, conducts simulations of proposed solutions; provides cost-benefit analysis.
- Develops test, implementation, and project plans to ensure deliverables are being achieved on time and within budget. Manages projects related to applications (systems, software, implementation, and security) to ensure effective and efficient operations
- Recommends operational, policy and procedural changes. Develops and writes procedures for installation, use, or troubleshooting of Microsoft technologies and services to track, project, or report availability, reliability, capacity, or utilization. Develop functional requirements/specifications for Microsoft technologies and services to ensure appropriate operating procedures and documentation.
- Ensure stability and availability of Microsoft technologies and services through the use of monitoring and reporting tools. Analyzes performance metrics to detect problems, identify inefficient use of resources or ensure optimal performance of the production technologies and services and performs capacity planning. Evaluate, select, install and configure new Microsoft technologies and services, and the associated processes and procedures necessary to ensure maximum availability.
- Proactively provide recommendation for software versions and code upgrades. Installs tests and optimizes Microsoft technologies and services. Develop and recommend relevant security measures based on current security best practices and University policy.
- Perform implementation of new or upgraded technologies and services.
- Leverage Azure and AWS cloud technologies in the design, development, and delivery of Microsoft technology based solutions as well as in improving the reliability and performance of existing solutions.
- Acts as a subject-matter-expert, providing guidance and consulting services in the areas of Microsoft technologies and services to all business functions, for the purpose of designing and implementing Microsoft technology based solutions.
- Works with the operations, customers and maintenance staffs on large projects. Interface with NOC personnel, technicians, and campus IT personnel, and provide them with support and training when needed.
- Provide exceptional customer service by keeping in mind customer needs at all times, giving prompt response, consistent follow up, and fast turn-around on problem resolution.
- Solves Microsoft technology support problems; communicates with vendors as necessary; act as an escalation point for Microsoft technology outages and resolutions
- Participates in the formulation of the annual budget and monitors and controls ongoing operating budget
- Participate in an on-call rotation for Microsoft technology and security emergencies.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong knowledge of Windows Server 2012+ and Active Directory
- Experience working with Microsoft SQL 2012+ and database management
- Experience working with Microsoft SCCM 2016+
- Experience with virtualization infrastructure (Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware, etc.)
- Experience with cross-platform interoperability
- Experience with the tenants of least privilege access
- Experience with patch and vulnerability management
- Knowledge of industry standard security best practices
- Strong analytical and independent problem solving skills
- Ability to multi-task between multiple complex projects and operational requests.
- Self-motivated, results-oriented with a demonstrated ability to design, collaborate and deliver robust enterprise IT services from need to production.
- A strong track record of understanding and interest in current and emerging technologies demonstrated through training, job experience, and/or industry activities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Please see Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications below.
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications
Five years of progressively responsible system administration and/or programming experience including the installation, testing and maintenance of hardware, operating and applications systems and utilities; OR Associate’s degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Information Technology or related field AND four years of progressively responsible system administration and/or programming experience including the installation, testing and maintenance of hardware, operating and applications systems and utilities; OR, Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Information Technology or related field AND two years of progressively responsible system administration and/or programming experience including the installation, testing and maintenance of hardware, operating and applications systems and utilities; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Intermediate/Advanced PowerShell scripting
- Experience with F5 load balancers
- Experience with Ironport SEG appliances
- Experience with Role Based Access Controls
- Experience with Cloud infrastructure, design and architecture (AWS/Azure)
- Experience with Azure AD and Office 365
- Experience with Disaster Recovery planning, review, and testing.
- Familiarity with networking: DNS, DHCP, VLANs, TCP/IP, firewall, switches, routing, load balancing
- Experience in a 24×7 support environment
Full Time/Part Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week
Computer, Engineering and Technical
Yes – Full Benefits
Posted Rate of Pay
Type of criminal background check required:
Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Posting Detail Information Posting Number
Number of Vacancies
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Limited to Current UA Employees
Contact Information for Candidates
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
Quick Link for Internal Postings
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
The University of Arizona is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.