Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Phoenix, AZ 85003
LOCATION: The Salvation Army
Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center
REPORTS TO: Sports and Fitness Coordinator
STATUS: Part Time/Non-Exempt
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years old with a valid driver’s license.
- Current group exercise instructor certification such as AFAA, ACE, NETA or other NCCA accredited group exercise certification is required.
- Must have exercise equipment knowledge. One or more years’ experience in a public exercise facility.
- Basic knowledge of anatomy, physiology, nutrition, and health.
- Computer knowledge helpful but, not necessary.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate proficiently
- Must have ability to work and relate well with people in an enthusiastic, positive attitude.
- Must have or be able to obtain CPR/First Aide certification within first 30 days of employment.
- Meet all health and safety regulations as defined by the Health Department as well as The Salvation Army.
- Maintain a professional attitude and approach to problem solving.
- Have the ability to work with children, parents, and staff in a capacity of leadership, counseling and education including but not limited to:Ability to relate joyfully and sensitively to children of all ages.
Sensitivity to children’s individual needs.
Ability to use appropriate positive discipline consistently.
Ability to handle security and crisis situations, calmly.
Ability to seek supervision and use it consistently.
- Create safe and appropriate exercise classes for members and guests.
- Ensure proper exercise mode, duration, frequency, intensity, and progression is established for every class with suitable variety incorporated.
- Monitor clients during exercise session to ensure safety.
- Ensure safe and proper usage of all exercise equipment.
- Return all exercise equipment to their proper storage spaces and racks.
- Demonstrate proper exercise technique with appropriately mirrored movements.
- Give proper cues for dance moves and hydration reminders.
- Participate in the Kroc Fitness Center Member Retention Program.
- Problem-solve, answer basic facility questions, and provide assistance to members and guests as needed.
- Arrive for work shift on time, prepared to work, and ready for each class.
- Refer any questions, concerns, or complaints by clients to the Sports and Fitness Coordinator.
- Monitor Group Exercise/Fitness/Gym areas for any safety problems and promptly report any problems/concerns to the Sports and Fitness Coordinator or other designated supervisor.
- Follow all written and oral communications and instructions from the Sports and Fitness Coordinator or other designated supervisor.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or © consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35©
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. The Salvation Army is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified job applicants, job candidates, and employees with disabilities to ensure they enjoy equal access to all employment opportunities and benefits of employment as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act. EEO is the Law.