Industry certification, Employment, Measurable skills gain
Method of Delivery
Online, e-learning, or distance learning
Daytime Hours, Evening Hours, Weekends
Instructional Program (CIP)
Program Name: 6359 Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist – online
It is so important for students entering the workforce to be well prepared for the challenges found there. For those students hoping for a career in health care, it is imperative that they have an understanding of electronic health records and how those records impact patient care and reimbursement. This course will provide the instructional tools needed to facilitate student learning of the electronic health record process. Administrative, clinical, and billing applications are discussed, as well as real-world situations that the students will encounter in the workforce.
• Explore the history and current use of patient health records, their importance to individuals’ health, and their contribution to the healthcare system.
• Describe the medical assistant’s role in promoting electronic health records.
• Discuss the legal meaning of privacy.
• Become familiar with patients’ rights under HIPAA and explore how they affect the EHR.
• Discuss the necessity of respectful communication among providers, staff, and patients when answering the telephone, sending email, messaging, faxing, and scheduling appointments.
• Discuss the role of the front office in maintaining the waiting room.
• Describe the benefits of documentation in the electronic health record (EHR).
• Discuss the role of the patient, the provider, and the third-party payer in the medical reimbursement process.
• Discuss the concept of medical necessity and indicate how it affects third-party reimbursement.
• Define and explain the Personal Health Record (PHR) and patient portals.
All necessary materials are included.
This course prepares the student to take the National Health Career Association Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) certification exam. Please visit link for certification requirements: https://www.nhanow.com/certifications/electronic-health-records-specialist
Total Course Hours: 145, Total Weeks: 52, Course open enrollment
Course provided by: ProTrain LLC
Competencies to be achieved: UA Certificate upon completion
A. Total Cost of Program (include all costs to student including testing, licensure):
Tuition: $1,533, Exam: $152 Total Tuition $ 1,685
B. WIOA Contact for Enrollment Status /Credential Verification:
Name: Jo Ann Sanders
Phone number: 520.626.5091
C. Direct Website link to the program: http://ce.arizona.edu
D. Refund Policy (provide a summary if Refund policy is not listed on school website):
Refund: $25 cancellation fee per class with written request 3 business days prior to the first scheduled class. For online training programs through ProTrain, 360Training and Center for Legal Studies, NO refunds are available once course material has been accessed in any manner.
E. Credentials: (The following questions must be answered along with a supporting explanation for each)
• Industry Recognized: (Developed and offered by, or endorsed by a nationally-recognized industry association or organization representing a sizeable portion of the industry sector)
Yes or No: Yes
• Stackable: (Part of a sequence of credentials)
Yes or No: Yes
Career Pathway: Medical Transcription and Administration
• Portable: (Recognized in other geographical areas; by other educational institutions; or by other industries/companies)
Yes or No (Explain): Yes
• Accredited Curriculum: (This is referring to the course being accredited, not the test or school)
Yes or No: Yes
Accrediting Agency and link to website: https://www.nhanow.com/
J. Credential Attainment Rate: Percentage of students in the last 24 months who obtained a postsecondary credential during WIOA program participation or within one year after exit from WIOA: This is a new program July 2017. 1 student have completed the certificate.
Program Length (Weeks)
High School Diploma or Equivalent
WIOA Approved Program
Curriculum Competency Based
6 - Pima County Workforce Investment Board
Type of Attainment:
Certificate upon completion
Type of financial aid offered or have access to
Financing through multiple lenders
Is the proposed curriculum currently certified by an accrediting agency or similar national standardization program?
Yes - National Health Career Association
Is this proposed curriculum considered a nontraditional program of training services for women?
Is this proposed curriculum considered a nontraditional program of training services for men?
$152.00 Exam not included in tuition
Total In-State Program Cost
Total Out-of-State Program Cost