at Northern Arizona Healthcare in Flagstaff, Arizona, United States
Ensuring the achievement of Northern Arizona Healthcare’s mission, the Charge RN, under the supervision of the Clinical
Manager/Director, is responsible for overseeing and directing the patient care activities on the unit during a worked shift. When providing leadership to the department, the Charge RN acts as an advocate for the shift, making sure the Clinical Manager/Director are aware of the unique needs of the shift. The Charge RN provides leadership for nursing personnel by being a team leader, serving as a preceptor, and being an active member of the health care team. The Charge RN practices within the ANA Scope of Practice, the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses and the standards of his/ or her specialty.
- Addresses patient and family concerns, communicates issues and solutions through appropriate channels.
- Documents incidents, events, interventions, and patient/staff/physician responses.
- Serves as patient advocate.
- Prioritize and problems solves to meet changes in patient status/condition.
- Works with other departments to ensure smooth patient throughput processes including discharge planning and patient education as appropriate.
- Collaborates with physicians and other health care professionals to ensure staffing patterns meet appropriate skill mix necessary for quality patient care.
- Serves as a liaison with patients, physicians, Administrative Coordinator, Staffing Office, Transfer Center, Care Coordination department, unit staff, ancillary staff and departments.
- Serves as a resource, assists staff in caring for patients; able to assist physician with order entry.
- Staffing for current and next shift, determining appropriate staff levels and mix to provide quality care and maintain unit productivity.
- Assign patient care teams, delegate patient care activities to unit and ancillary staff.
- Addresses work flow issues, ensures incidents are appropriately documented and corrective steps are taken.
- Makes bed or patient assignment based on patient needs and staff resources.
- Identifies appropriate referral and educational resources for patients and staff.
- Advocates for both patients and staff as needs arise.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NAH and department policies and procedures. Works to ensure compliance of best practice amongst each staff member.
Coaching and Development
- Ensures staff accountability, monitors staff performance, and provides real time constructive feedback whenever possible.
- Identifies performance opportunities for improvement and provides resources and education as needed.
- Regularly recognizes employees for strong performance and improvements.
- Collaborates with clinical manager on employees performance evaluations.
- Collaborates and communicates with the clinical manager regarding staff performance.
- Provides coaching to nursing staff.
- Provides input to nursing leadership regarding employment actions including performance evaluation, promotion, corrective action and termination on a regular basis.
- Participates in creating and sustaining a learning environment supported by evidenced based practice and research.
- Focuses on personal development areas, engaging in professional/collegial interactions with peers and students.
- Works collaboratively with peers and other health care providers, and participating in ongoing in-service and educational seminars.
- Participates in the mentoring and education of colleagues and students.
- Responsible for reporting any safety related incident in a timely fashion through the Midas/RDE tool; attends all safety related training programs; performs work in a safe manner; monitors work environment for possible safety issues and ensures others are also performing work in a safe manner.
- Adheres to regulatory and organizational standards affecting patient care and safety as well as all hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Practices in a safe and cost effective manner.
- Stays current and complies with state and federal regulations/statutes and company policies that impact the employees area of responsibility.
- If required for position, ensures all certifications and/or licenses are up-to-date and valid prior to expiration dates.
- Completes all company mandatory modules and required job specific training in the specified time frame.
- Maintains timely and accurate documentation of assessments, interventions, EMR entries, and patient responses.
RNs hired on or after 7/1/2016: Must graduate from a BSN program within 6 years of hire into an RN position; the original due date will not change if promoted to a Charge RN position.
RNs hired prior to 7/1/2016 without a BSN or without a BSN-in-process promoted to Charge RN must obtain their BSN degree within 6 years of their promotion date. If the requirement is not completed by that due date, the Charge Nurse may step down from their position or retire.
Existing Charge RNs:
Employees in Charge Nurse roles as of 7/1/2016 without a BSN, must obtain their BSN degrees no later than 6/30/2022. If the requirement is not completed by that due date, the Charge Nurse may step down from their position or retire.
Promotions to Charge RN:
Open Heart Training Program- Required within 2 years of hire
Surgical ICU & CVICU:
Neuro Training Program- Required within 2 years of hire
Certificates and Licensure
Active, unrestricted, Arizona RN License or valid, participating compact license – Required
BLS – Required
CPI – Required within 90 days of hire
Fingerprint Clearance Card application number – Required upon hire
Fingerprint Clearance Card – Required within 90 days of hire
Minimum of one (1) year experience as an RN- Preferred
Healthcare is a rapidly changing environment and technology is integrated into almost all aspects of patient care. Computers and other electronic devices are utilized across the organization and throughout each department. Colleagues must have an understanding of computers, and competence in using computers and basic software programs.
Requisition ID: 2022-15064
Street: 1200 N, Beaver St.
Full Name: First Last: DAWN JOHNSON
Email Address: email@example.com